• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mashing in the boiler

djakobse

Apprentice
Reaction score
Does BeerSmith support equipment where you mash in a mashbucket with a false bottom, inside the boiler. The boiler is quite a bit larger than the mash bucket so there will be several litres of preheated water outside the mashbucket. The German Speidel Braumeister is an example. I can't find any way to specify this in the equipment pane.

Judging from the lack of replies to posts with similar requests over the last years in this forum, this is knowledge unknown to Mr. Smith, or anyone else in the US, where kettles and picnic coolers seem to bee the standard. 8)
No offense meant; they are obviously OK items, filling their purpose well, but you would expect that a modern, updated brewing software would have this more modern "mini-brewery-like" option covered as well.

Does anyone know of a software program that is capable of handling brewing equipment like the Speidel Braumeister? ::)

You seem to be in the enviable position to write the profile, gents. The software's job is to do the calculations for brewing. New equipment profiles are a user community effort.

Essentially, the Speidel Braumeister is a Brew In a Bag (BIAB) system, where the bag has been replaced by a steel inner basket. This profile is roughed out as "Electric Urn (10 Gal/40 L) - BIAB." What's needed are the unique properties of the Braumeister.

Start by weighing the kettle and basket, together. Input that and then input the total kettle volume in the "Mash Tun Volume" field.

"Lauter Tun Deadspace" is the area between the basket and kettle. To simplify this, I'd just assume a full batch will be made every time. You already know the kettle volume, so just figure out the basket volume. Subtract that volume from the kettle volume to get your deadspace.

The rest of the profile is straight forward.

Once you have that all set, you can improve the overall quality of BeerSmith by posting the profile. Perhaps in "Tips" and/or "All Grain/Advanced" discussions.

Thanks for your reply, it makes sense, though I somewhat have some resistance to call the Speidel a BIAB... I'd never think of it as a BIAB if you'd not suggested it, but OK...
Nevertheless; if that's what's required to get the calculations to equal real life, then it's OK.
I'll try to make a calculation before my next brew, and if it's sound, I'll post my findings to help fellow Braumeisters.
Thanks again.

Back