• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Double Batch One Fermenter

rimfire

Apprentice
Reaction score
On Day One I brew a 5.5 gal extract batch (1.058 OG), oxygenate the wort and pitch double yeast (2 liquid vials of cal ale no starter) into a 14.5 gallon SS conical. On Day Two (within 24 hours) I brew a 5.5 gallon all grain batch (similar gravity) and add it into the same fermenter to make 11 gallons. The first batch doubles as a large yeast starter for the second. I do not oxygenate the second batch (other than incedental during transfer).

Are there any negative issues with making such a large "starter" (5.5 gals at 1.058 OG) on day one - i.e. growing too many yeast cells too fast, stress, oxidation, etc?

If I were to make an even higher gravity wort (i.e. 1.08 imperial stout) would you recommend making a starter for the "starter" (i.e. day 1 make a 2L 1.04 starter, day two pitch starter into oxygenated extract batch, day three fold in the all grain batch).

Thanks

Ive heard of people making a big batch of beer, canning extra wort in quart jars and adding those every few days for barley wines. Apparently it helps the yeast eat those sugars without dying off. I hear you can get near 25% abv with whitelabs super high gravity ale yeast this way.

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp099.html

@rimfire: This is exactly what used to be done at the brewery where I work. We have 25hl fermentation tanks and a boil kettle volume of 14hl so each "batch" was split over two days. They've changed a couple of things so that they can do double-brew days to help move things along but there's nothing wrong with what you're doing.

I can't answer to your second question of high gravity brews, the brewery doesn't really do much in that direction and I don't do any personally either. The highest OG brew that they do is a RIS with an abv of about 8.5. No starter, AFAIK.

Back