• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lost my recipes

canadabrew

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone can help me.

I just logged into beersmith2 today and all my recipes are gone. How do I get these back?

Thanks

Just happened to me too.

For some reason BS2 has now defaulted back to the original setup including asking me for my product key.

WTF.  I do not even have a clue how to trouble shoot this one to ask for help.

Please bring back the portability of BS1.  This is killing me.

Now off to find a somewhat recent backup of my recipes. 

Had to do a total uninstall, reinstall and reload of all my data from backup.

Still having to enter my product key each time I run BS2.  My code is accepted, so I can access the application,
hmmmm

Did you figure this out?

I was prompted for my key again as well so I put it in but my recipes are gone.

Where was your back up from?

mydocuments?

Cheers

I lost my recipes (at least one folder's worth, not them all though).  Was not prompted for the key though.

Hi,
I'm not sure how this could happen unless something was badly corrupted or you moved/renamed your Documents/BeerSmith2 directory.  The only other possibility would be a change of user permissions/user login or directories that prevented the program from accessing your current Documents/BeerSmith2 directory.

All of your data is stored in the Documents/BeerSmith2 directory.  Unless you do a "Change Documents Directory" (on the file menu) or move/rename that directory the data will stay in that directory - there is nothing in the program to change it.

The "worst case" recovery process for a corrupt/missing file in BeerSmith 2 is as follows:
  - Rename your "Documents/BeerSmith2" directory to something else like "OldBeerSmith" - so you don't lose anything
  - Restart BeerSmith2 - which will create a new BeerSmith2 directory with the sample recipes in it
  - You will likely have to enter your registration key again
  - Once you have BeerSmith running again, use the Open command to open your old Recipe.bsmx file
    that is now in your "OldBeerSmith" directory  and then copy/paste any recipes you need into
    your new "My Recipes" folder
  - You can do the same with Equipment.bsmx, Hops.bsmx, etc... if you have added items beyond
    those that came with BeerSmith 2
  - If you can't open one of the files (Recipe.bsmx for example), you can also try opening the numbered
    backups (Recipe1.bsmx, Recipe2.bsmx, etc...) - these contain older copies of the original.
  - Let me know if you have any problems - and please keep your "OldBeerSmith" directory around
    (the one you renamed earlier) as it will have all of your data in it!

Cheers,
Brad

Back