• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Flying ice bottles

Catmanjack

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Last friday I brewed a Christmas Ale. While cooling (it was at about 90F) the wort I was adding frozen water bottles to the sink. Yes I know I should be using a wort chiller....One bottle  slipped, bounced off the sink and made a perfect ark into the center of the brew pot. since all my hopping was complete I didn't really feel like I could reboil. Since the bottle was frozen from the freezer is there any chance I am not growing 5 gallons of bacteria right now?

There is always a chance that you can contaminate the wort but if it was still hot enough it shouldn't really matter. The upside is you had not pitched the yeast yet, once the yeast is in, the wort goes "live" and the chance of contamination becomes a very big deal, I wouldn't worry about it.

Catmanjack said:
Since the bottle was frozen from the freezer is there any chance I am not growing 5 gallons of bacteria right now?

I think there is a good chance you will be fine.  If you pitched a good starter with lots of healthy yeast, they will overwhelm the bacterias that can't compete.

Back