• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Squash beer?

M

maddspoiler

I have a bunch of squash... Like 8 or more pounds of it. More than the family can eat before it spoils. Anybody have any experience mashing squash or pumpkins? I wash thinking of using about 6-8# of six row to convert it and a little caramel and maybe some carapils and some mild hops strains. Any suggestions?  :eek:

Some folks did one on a local TV station brewing reality show, BYOBTV.  I tried it and found it to be quite tasty.  You could try searching around the web for the BYOB TV recipe.

Hey There,
I am about to bottle my squash beer. I used 3lbs of baked then mashed squash in the primary. It absorbed a lot of liquid, making my final batch smaller by about 1/4 gallon.
For grains I used 10lbs 2 row, 1 pound munich, 1/2 lb crystal 40, 1/2 lb carapils.
For hops I used 1oz Northern Brewer 60 min, 1oz cascade 5 min.
For seasoning I used 1 Tbsp eash Nutmeg, Allspice and Cinnamon and 1 tsp ground ginger (10 min for all).
I was gonna put 3 lbs of squash in the secondary, but didn't want to loose that much more liquid.
All I can tell you for now is that it smells AWESOME!
Cheers!!

dnd,
How was the mash? Was it sticky and hard to sparge? Did the sparge run longer than normal? Ive heard most squash or pumpkin recipes call for a couple pounds of rice hulls to help make sparging go easier. Ive heard (fly)sparging can take longer than normal on a squash beer. Let me know how it went. I decided against it for the moment (freezing the squash and brewing it later). Going to my LHBS later today to get stuff to brew a bitter for tomorrow.

EDIT***
I bought stuff to brew a Belgian Golden Strong instead... Gonna put it away for New Years.

The sparge was fine. I batch sparge, had no problems at all. I did 15qt mashIn, 1 gal mashout, 3 gal sparge. Just bottled this morning, tried a small sample. Smells great, flavors need to mellow for a while.

Update: I opened a bottle today(10/4/11), very little carbonation(mostly due to my experimentation with recovering yeast from prior batches). Nose...phenomenal. Just like pumpkin pie. The spices are still quite strong and not decernable. I'm hoping they calm a little with a couple more weeks of rest.

Update: 10/18/11, All is well. Carbonation is great, flavor is awesome! Very pleased with this recipe. Making it again for the thanksgiving and xmas season.

Back