• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith Water Profile Tool

chris nelson

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all

I am new to BS so still finding my feet and would be grateful for a pointer.

I have entered my local water profile into the profile tool Ca 70 Mg 8 Na 25.1 So4 44.7 Cl 45.9 Co3 194.2 (which I think is the same as US CO3)  under the name of the district supply (Springsmire).

My question is: will BS recommend how to treat this base profile to achieve a particular beer style rather than the water profile from another area.

Thank you in advance
Chris

No the water tool shows water profiles from around the world. With a little knowledge of where a style originated you should be able to nail it. If you brewing a Pils use The Czech water profile. If a Irish Stout use Dublins.

You can make a new profile for the style of beer you want to make if you know what the profile needs to look like. Good Luck!

So Pils and Stouts are the easy ones.  What if I want to brew an American Pale Ale?  What city should I use?  How about a Roggenbier?  Or an American Hefeweisen?  or a Centennial blonde ale?  It isn't immediately apparent to most users which cities styles are best suited to certain beer styles.  Can anyone point to a list or website that can help?

I love BeerSmith! However, I use Bru'n Water to guide my water treatment. Martin Brungard is a water chemist and his spreadsheet is amazingly effective in guiding you to optimum water profiles. With an accurate water analysis (Ward Labs) you will hit your target mash and sparge pH. Martin includes quite a few city water profiles plus many generalized profiles for general styles such as: yellow bitter, yellow malty, yellow balanced, amber .....

Now comes the warning: Bru'n Water requires that you spend an hour or so reading the instructions. You can also profit from reading the information on the last sheet.  https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Back