• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash/sparge volume question

merfizle

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I have a 12 gallon batch created but don't understand how BS 2.0 is coming up with sparge numbers.

I'm using 27.5 lbs of grain at 1.4 qts/lb.  I selected batch sparge using 90%, use equal batch sizes, do not drain tun.  The MLT is a 12 gallon rectangular cooler with .25 gallons of deadspace.  Estimated pre boil volume is 13.48 gallons.  Since equal runnings I should get 6.74 gallons for each sparge step.  BS says to drain tun, batch sparge with 2 steps (7.41, 3.70).  Already I see that you get more than the 13.48 gallons.  The sparge water should be 7.41 total but it has 7.41 + 3.7 gallons.  If you add mash water after absorption that's more than 13.48 gallons?

Here's my BS 2.0 file. Notice what happens to batch sparge steps when you check/uncheck the drain tun box.  Volumes look correct if you select Drain Tun but don't look as expected if you uncheck it.

Thanks.

Mark

Attachments

• Test batch.bsmx
    11.3 KB · Views: 218
I've seen the exact same issue and am confused by it as well.

I believe this was a bug in earlier versions and was fixed in builds 44 and above.  If you grab the new release 2.0.45 (which I just put out) from the main download page, I think it will correct your problem. 

I opened your file in the new build and it now says three steps (drain mash tun, 3.7 gal and 3.7 gal) which totals up to 7.41 gallons.

Thanks,
Brad

Brad, agreed.  I downloaded build 44 when it first came out and sparging details are correct now.  Thanks!

Mark

Brad, I"m running into another issue with build 51.  In this recipe I have mash profile as single infusion, batch sparge with mash out.  Drain mash tun before sparge and equal batch size check boxes are not checked.  With this scenario sparge water is correct and gets me to my 7.24 preboil volume.  But, if I check equal runnings, then I get a sparge of "drain mash tun, , 3.75 gallons".  This puts pre boil volume at 10+ gallons?

Obviously, with 6.8 gallons of mash water it's impossible to get equal batches if I want a preboil volume of 7.25 gallons but am wondering if BS is doing something else or if I'm missing something.

Thanks.

Mark

Attachments

• recipe.bsmx
    21.7 KB · Views: 201
Back