• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Help me fix my problems if you can with BeerSmith2

G

ggltd

Attached is a recipe from Zymurgy by Papazian that I want to brew.  I imputed all the data exactly. Here are all the screen shots that I could think of.  If you can tell me how to calibrate this version I would appreciate it.  I have brewed 5 batches since the upgrade, I seem to be consistently low on my numbers, I have a LOT of wort leftover at the end of the boil and all my beer tastes watery with no mouth feel. I think the mash and sparge volumes are off.  I have tried every tweak to the data that I can think of.  Obviously this recipe has been brewed, reviewed and published.  My report should show the same results within reason.  I didn't use to have this problem with previous software.  Thanks, Gary

Attachments

• problems 10-11-2011 GOJ.docx
    992.8 KB · Views: 218
Have you tried comparing the volumes you draw off with the predicted values?  If you have a lot more wort left over you probably don't have your equipment set up with the correct volumes which can throw things off quite a bit in the final beer.

Brad

Hi Brad:  Here is a better example of the discrepancies in BeerSmith.

Attachments

• problems 10-11-2011 GOJ.docx
    474 KB · Views: 221
You need to edit your mash steps.  Your water to grist ratio is wrong.  Its trying to add 18.7 gallons of water to 26.5 pounds of grist---that's almost 3 qts per pound (2.83 qt/lbs).  That won't work very well as a mash...its too thin.  Plus, as you've observed you have a crap-load of wort that you would need to boil down to 10 gallons.  Something around the 1-2 qt / pound is more sensible. 

Do you know how to edit your mash steps in the profile? 

In the Mash profile editor, select the MASH IN step, and click the EDIT STEP button.  Edit the water/grain ratio to something 2 or less---depending on how thick of a mash you want.  Beersmith will automatically adjust the "water to add" value.  Click OK to save the step, and again to save the profile.

Note that the profile: "Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Full Body" is very close to your desired profile.

Tom - Thank you for the help.  I think this fixed it.  I didn't see this before, and I don't know how it got corrupted.  Gary

Back