• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can beer turn into to vinegar?

Beer_Tigger

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I had an experimental batch that smells and tastes like vinegar.  Is that what it has become?  What caused it?  Can I use it as I would vinegar?

Ever hear of malt vinegar? Thats probably what you made. In the United Kingdom, salt and malt vinegar is a traditional seasoning for chips and crisps.

Vinegar is made from the fermentation of a variety of sources mainly containing carbohydrates and sugars. Ethanol is first produced as a result of fermentation of sugars, ethanol is then oxidized to acetic acid by the acetic acid bacteria (AAB). The ethanol may be derived from many different sources, including wine, cider, beer, or fermented fruit juice, or it may be made synthetically from natural gas and petroleum derivatives.

Did you have it open to air for some time? Vinegar needs air to oxidize alcohol to acetic acid.  Also, is there a "mother" in the bottom (a kind of slimy gelatin looking layer on the bottom)?  That would be a sure sign you made malt vinegar. 

No evidence I could see of a "mother".  Looked like just settled yeast in the bottle.  It was a small test batch that was in a 5 gal bucket fermenter, maybe too much head space gave it the oxygen.

Back