• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Help With Getting 60 IBU

ultravista

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I have a batch with a target IBU of 60. The hops are Perle (boil) and Sterling (finishing / whirlpool).

The batch size is 5.25 gallons, the starting gravity is 1.084, Perle is 7.5 AA, and Sterling 7.0 AA.

Can someone recommend the hops, in ounces, for both Perle and Sterling to get to 60 IBU.

As the Sterling is finishing, or whirlpool, I doubt it will contribute much bittering as the Perle at 60 minutes. However, I do kill the heat, whirlpool, and let the hops "steep" for 20 to 30 minutes.

I don't know how to do this in Beersmith, the whirlpool part that is. Do I modify the Sterling from zero minutes to 30 minutes even though it's not boiling? Is it the boil, at 212, that drives off flavor and aroma? In other words, will the steep at 30 minutes give me bittering as boil would but the flavor and aroma of not boiling?

Won't a steeping 30 minutes bring out bittering as well? Would you base the IBU solely on the 60 and anticpiate none on the steep? In BS 2, you can choose boil/steep ...

So what would you do to get to 60 IBU?

You'd need 4.2 oz of Perles if your BOIL gravity = Starting Gravity =1.084. Your utilization is only 17% or so at that BG. You didn't say whether full or part boil....need more info.....

Full boil, 60 minute, all grain.

2.66 oz of 7.5 AA Perle and 1.5 oz of 7.0 AA Sterling brings me in at 59.6 IBU. BS estimates the pre boil gravity at 1.083. The estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.072.

4.2 oz of Perle pushes me to 94.1 IBU.

Just go 3oz of Perle with the rest the same. To be honest, with all the variables in getting that Hop to you  ready to throw in . The hop it's self has lost some of it's structure even in pellets . Unless you have a Photo Spectrometer  it really doesn't matter. On B.S Work with the program adjust your Bittering hop till you get where you want to be. Make sure your equipment is adjusted for as well.

Is there any value to breaking the Perle up into 60/30/15 increments? The recipe explicitly states the Perle is for bittering and Sterling for flavor and aroma.

I don't get the whole hop schedule thing.

Back