• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Apple Juice - how to properly add

repomanz

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm a bit of a new user to beersmith.  I've made the Ed Wort's Apfelwine and i'm having trouble adding the apple juice to the ingrediants. 

I'm trying to add this into the grain section as an extract but obviously i'm doing something wrong.  Applejuice measured out at 1.050 but when I enter this value in the tool it reverts back to 1.046.  Also, I assume 8lbs for 1 Gallon of apple juice. 

So, when I do a 2 gallon batch size and make the apple juice 16lbs my OG is something like 1.26.  Obviously wrong.

Can someone let me know what I'm doing wrong with the apple juice add?

thanks!

Jon

I think you will have to fudge the values in BS to get what you want.  BS appears to assume a 100% yeild from a grain tops out at a gravity of 1.046.  If you bump the yoeld up to 108% you will get the gravity up to 1.050. 

Also, BS doesn't allow you to put in gallons in the custom grain window - only lbs.  But, I believe BS does the calculation in PPG, which would say that one gallon would give you 50 points and assumes that comes from one lb of dissolved sugar.  So just enter the number of gallons even though it says lbs (i.e., if you are using 1 gallon, enter 1 and ignore that is calling it lbs.  I think this will make your calclations come out right.

It's 8.35lbs per gallon. 1.050 comes out to be 1.006 ppppg which is what you want to add for potential.

I think if you have a refractometer you can also add that reading as Yeild and it will come out right.

When you add that to a recipe you have to do it in pounds.

Back