• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Just started an Oatmeal Milk Stout and debating whether to add Oak Chips!

RogueNationPatriot

Apprentice
Reaction score
This weekend I brewed an Oatmeal Milk Stout and I was whether I should add the french oak chips that I've soaking in Crown Royal.  It's a sweet stout with addition of oatmeal and the lactose, and I'm planning on entering into competition.  Has anyone tried a similar beer before?

I haven't tried that with an Oatmeal stout but I did do something similar with and IPA and it really turned out great, to date it is still one of my favorite beers. My only suggestion is to be sure you allow enough conditioning time before competition so the flavors get a chance to mellow. The oak chips soaked will be over powering early on. I let my IPA condition for 2months or so and it was much smoother, after 3 months it rocked!

I'm assuming that this batch has already come and gone, but my buddy and I have an Oatmeal Stout recipe that we've made pretty successfully a few times now, and that's exactly what we're planning on adding, to make it even better. Our local homebrew club has several people who have been oaking their stouts really successfully, and we're definitely psyched to try it. How'd it turn out?

Back