• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First Worth Hopping with BIAB

mcduhamel

Apprentice
Reaction score
Has anyone tried first wort hopping using the BIAB method?  I assume the hops would be added as soon as the bag is removed?

I read the other night that hops are added to the mash... so you could add to your bag. Will need to check how long though.

Sorry, just re-read the book, the hops are not added to the mash but rather to the wort prior to boiling. It is added at the higher pH of the wort rather than the lower pH from the boil. This is meant to give a smoother bitterness. According to Gordon Strong, 'the hops are steeped at 60-70 deg C in pH 5.2-5.5 for an extended time'. I guess you'd mash in  your bag, lift it up and steep the hops at that time before you begin the boil. Check out Brewing Better Beer by Gordon Strong. Awesome book.

With BIAG, do you just lift the bag and start boiling?  If so, then you could actually do mash/FWH at once? 

Put hops down, then bag, add water, let mash/soak.  Lift bag, hops are now FWH'ing up to the boil. 

The disadvantage of mash hops being they get tossed with grains, but perhaps with BIAG not entirely lost? 

If not using a BIAB method, the hops can be put in the boil kettle while lautering. Then they are sitting there at mash out temp and brought up to boil.

Back