• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Balancing malt and hops

keithshead

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,
When I construct beers and those little arrows move left to right for colour and bitterness etc what is the best way to make the most of that? Iam brewing an IPA at the weekend. The gravity for my recipe is 1.065 the IBU 56 and the ratio is about 0.900. Now, is the idea to get those little arrows for IBU and OG kind of meeting? Would that mean i have a balanced beer?
Sorry if I am missing something basic here but i kind of want my IPA to have a good malt backbone and it is something i have not quite got to grips with.

Cheers.

The color bands are based on the Beer Style sheet and are there for reference to matching the style.  The arrows are not intended to line up, only provide relative information.  The balance of the Malt to Hops is important to the taste and flavor and it is a matter of your own taste.  Look back at previous beers that you really liked and check the OG to Hop ratio.  The OG is just a number to reference the amount of malt against.  It can be a little bit affected by the Final Gravity also.  A higher FG (1.015-1.019) will have more malt flavor than a lower FG (1.009 - 1.012). 

Back to the OG to Hop ratio; it's just the ratio of IBU to OG points.  In your recipe it is 56 / 65 = 0.86  The higher the number to more pronounce the hops relative to the malt.  A beer with 30 IBU and an OG of 40 will taste fairly hoppy.  Ratio = 30/40  =  0.75.  The same IBU with a OG of 55 will taste less hoppy.  Ratio = 30 / 55  =  0.54

I was brewing with a group of guys and based on experience the beers considered the best had a ratio about 0.60 - 0.70, so I adjusted OG and IBU within the target style to approach that number. 

Your IPA looks well balanced and well within the target style of an American IPA.  Good luck and let us know how it taste.

I have a IPA in primary, I missed by target OG on the low side (55) with a IBU about 70.  I expect the final beer to have a pretty good pucker factor  :)  Ratio  =  70/55 = 1.27.  I let you know in about a month.  :)

All the best, David

Back