Author Topic: high gravity beer in a smaller mash/lauter tun?  (Read 3204 times)

Offline Johnnyv42

• BeerSmith Brewer
high gravity beer in a smaller mash/lauter tun?
« on: October 28, 2011, 10:28:08 AM »
In about 8 days I want to make a high gravity beer, >1.100 (~10% ABV), I've got good yeast for it, but my 5 gallon mash tun will not hold the 20lbs of grain I need to make this beer. At best it'll hold 12, maybe 13 lbs of grain. What's the best way to get the additional gravity? Do I just add DME to the boil pot?

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 10:30:27 AM by Johnnyv42 »
Primary: Wit, Red

Secondary:

Bottled: Brown, Coffee Stout, Stout, Wee heavy, 60 Shilling, Brown Ale, Smoked Black IPA, American Pale Ale, Vanilla Porter, Wit

Offline merfizle

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: high gravity beer in a smaller mash/lauter tun?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 10:53:31 AM »
That or any sugar like beet, candy, etc.  Beware using too much candy or beet sugar as it can really thin out the body and create a cider-like taste.

Mark

Primary: Lambic base for solera barrel
Kegged: Bavarian Weissbier, N. English brown, Roggenbier

Offline beergeek773

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 03:19:41 PM »
I can usually fit 14 lbs. of grain in my 5 gal mash tun.  If it is straight base malt you should be able to reach 1.075 at least with a longer boil, but DME is probably the best way to get up to 1.100.  I don't know how many lbs. you would have to add to the boil though, probably at least 2?

Offline Maine Homebrewer

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 04:25:58 PM »
Make a smaller batch. Aim for 3 gallons and you should get close to your target gravity with the smaller grain bail.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline Johnnyv42

• BeerSmith Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 02:43:23 PM »
Thanks everyone, very helpful!
Primary: Wit, Red

Secondary:

Bottled: Brown, Coffee Stout, Stout, Wee heavy, 60 Shilling, Brown Ale, Smoked Black IPA, American Pale Ale, Vanilla Porter, Wit