• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Questions about first brew.

Snook32

Apprentice
Reaction score
I brewed 5 gal batch of all grain American Style Lager and i'm using a mini brew conical to ferment, the brewing process went well. Hit my preboil gravity right on but OG was supposed to be 1055 turned out to be 1060. Will this be an issue? I chilled to 65f pitched two packs of wyeast american lager yeast and waited 48 hours did not see much activity and dropped temp to 48f now on the 4th day I have 1 inch of krausen some air lock activity and the gravity is 1054. I want to do a diacetyl rest, when primary is this done? Ive read when the OG drops 2/3rds which would be at 1020 I then bump the temp to 62f for 2-3 days for the rest.  Then I should drain the trub off drop it back to 48f and that will be the start of secondary. This is my first attempt at brewing, i have been reading everything I can for the last 4-5 months. I need to know if I'm on the right track. Any advise would be appreciated. My main questions are: Will the OG difference matter? Is the diacetyl rest procedure correct? Should I use SG readings to tell when primary is done?

I can address one of your questions...your slightly higher than target OG is fine. Depending on how good your yeast complete the fermentation you may end up with slightly higher ABV than target, but it won't be that much higher. Don't sweat that one...

Back