• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

DME?

Johnnyv42

Brewer
Reaction score
OK, my last question has led to this one. Is all DME the same other than just color? Previously I mentioned that I want to make an high gravity (~1.100) beer using DME to supplement the grain in my smaller mash tun. Should I use the lightest DME available? Any benefit to using DME other than the lightest?

Thanks

They are all similar for points.  Main difference is color and taste.

Mark

For what you say you want I see no benefit to using anything but the lightest. Depending on how much you are adding even the lightest could give you a finishing gravity issue.

Darker will be like throwing in unknown amounts of roast, caramel and munich.

I always use a light malt. That way I can adjust the color and flavor myself. This is a good way for extract brewers to learn about grains.
Be aware that not all extracts are the same. As stated above, when you use darker extracts, you are not in control of what is going in your brew. Some companies, such as Breiss and Wyermann, have analysis sheets that tell what is in their extracts. These are good, if their methods are what you want.
Also, the color of extract is measured at a SG determined by the company. For example, Breiss measures their color at 30 points, and Wyermann at 50. So an extract with an advertised color of 4 by one company could also have an advertised color of 6 if sold by another company.
Enjoy

Back