• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New brewer, looking for advice

Bobthehick

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm looking to get into home brewing but I'm hoping to find some opinions on certain topics. (I don't know any home brewers, my education is primarily coming from the book "Home Brewing with BeerSmith")

Stuff I need advice on:
-Looking for a good starter kit (I'm willing to spend some money, I just wanna make sure I'm getting a good product)
-It seems like most people do 5 gallon batches, but I live alone and will definitely not go through that much beer compared to how often I want to brew and test out different recipes.
-General tips and tricks for a new brewer

1. Get a copy of How to Brew by John Palmer - or read the free on-line copy.
2. A brew bucket and a better bottle carboy with fermentation lock is a cheap way to start.  Get a carboy brush.
3. Get a 7 gal brew pot - if you want to do 5 gal batches later you are covered.
4. An auto shiphon makes transfering a lot easier.
5. A 50 ft length of 3/8 copper tubing and fittings to hook to your kitchen sink makes chilling your wort fast and easy.
6. Get some oxy clean or PBW for cleaning your equipment and Star San for sanitizing.
7. Kegs are a LOT easier, but cost several hundred up front.  If you go bottles, get a bottle rack and pump washer-it makes it bearable.  Also get a bottle brush.

You can do 2 or 3 gallon batches in this same equipment.

^^^THAT!^^^

And watch up on videos online from many of the grain/equipment suppliers.

One of my faves:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HomebrewingVideo

Back