• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

22 Batch Sparge Steps

greg.arcara

New Forum Member
Reaction score
My mash schedule is including 22 batch sparge steps:

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion - Custom
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs
----------------------------
Name              Description                            Step Temperat Step Time       
Single Infusion  Add 20.90 qt of water at 173.1 F        158.0 F      60 min           

Sparge: Batch sparge with 22 steps (Drain mash tun, , 0.27gal, 0.27gal, 0.27gal, 0.27gal, 0.27gal, 0.27gal, 0.27gal, 0.27gal, 0.27gal, 0.27gal, 0.27gal, 0.27gal, 0.27gal, 0.27gal, 0.27gal, 0.27gal, 0.27gal, 0.27gal, 0.27gal, 0.27gal, 0.26gal) of 168.0 F water

I have it set to a 10 gallon cooler and obviously my single infusion is 5 gallons which is more than the .27 gal is is having me add over and over.  I am assuming I am just missing something, but I am not sure where to look. I would prefer it just said to add x gallons once.

Also, why is the water sometimes referred to in quarts and other places gallons? (I'd prefer gallons).

Thanks.

What's the "Batch Sparge using batches that fill xx.xx%" set to?

My guess is you change that to 100% and uncheck use equal batch sizes. That should get it to use as much as possible for the first sparge.

Yes, using gallons in one area and quarts in another, both for adding water to the tun is annoying. (I prefer quarts because I put the water in using a quart measuring cup.)

The problem is likely that you have the entire cooler just about full (or overfull) resulting in really small sparge steps.

Take a hard look at your equipment settings as they are likely driving this problem.

You can adjust the units for mash to gallons or quarts in the options command->Units tab.

Brad

BeerSmith said:
The problem is likely that you have the entire cooler just about full (or overfull) resulting in really small sparge steps.

Take a hard look at your equipment settings as they are likely driving this problem.

You can adjust the units for mash to gallons or quarts in the options command->Units tab.

Brad

I've got my options set to quarts and the brew sheet tells me,
"Mash Steps

Mash In Add 12.27 qt of water at 168.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

--  Batch sparge with 3 steps (Drain mash tun, , 1.44gal, 1.44gal) of 168.0 F water "

It was the same in BS1.

I'm having a similar issue. If I change the batch volume units from gallons to quarts, the sparge window tells me to do 10 2.45 quart steps. The problem lies in the Mash Tun Volume: I have a 48 quart cooler. When I have the batch units set to gallons it says 12 gallons (correctly) when I change the units to quarts it says I now have a 12 quart tun. My equipment profile says 48 quarts but for some reason it doesn't carry over to the mash profile. Any ideas?

Back