Author Topic: Re use yeast  (Read 4900 times)

Shakey_Dog

Re use yeast
« on: January 02, 2005, 11:24:22 PM »
I re-used yeast for the first time yesterday and it it bubble away next to me as I type this ;D.

It was very easy to do so I will be doing this all the time now.  But, I have one question,  how many generations can you get before bad things happen ???.

Is it 3, 5, 100?

Thanks,

Don

Offline littlebrew

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • I don't get any better than this.
Re: Re use yeast
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 03:47:59 AM »
I'm beginning to aquire the "tools" required for yeast culturing.  Three very good sites are WYEAST, whiteyeast, & Siebel Institute.

They give some great info.

Dave
We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit........Aristotle

Offline jjocsak

• BeerSmith Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 05:45:42 AM »
I re-used yeast for the first time yesterday and it it bubble away next to me as I type this ;D.

It was very easy to do so I will be doing this all the time now.  But, I have one question,  how many generations can you get before bad things happen ???.

Is it 3, 5, 100?

Thanks,

Don

The general feeling is no more than 4-5 times.

DesMoinesBrewer

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 05:47:59 AM »
I have saved yeast and used as many as five times...I haven't had a problem yet.  I've never ventured beyond this, as I get progessively worried about contamination.  However, I suppose that another use or two wouldn't hurt.  ;)

I either save in the fermenter if using within the next few days, or if I plan on not using for awhile, I put it into a sterile mason jar with the lid slightly loosened to allow gas escape.

-Brian

Shakey_Dog

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 03:16:49 PM »
I have mason jars also.  I got them at Wall Mart for next to nothing.  I just was not sure where to stop with how many times to re use.  5 sounds good to me also :)

Don

cryogenicz

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 06:56:45 PM »
If you acid wash, you could use it indefinatly.

modification