• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Best link/article on rest temps and times?

Hibs06

Brewer
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing my second ever all grain batch next weekend and I need to understand rest temps and times better.  Does anyone have a favorite thread or article they can recommend in order to understand what different rest temps do as well as what happens during those rest temps if you rest for a shorter or longer period of time?

All I can say is I always do a 10 min rest at the end of the mash step ,  I heat my grain bed up to 168-170 for a 10 min rest then spurge with 168 to 175 , ya all the books say just to sparge with 168 but that does not raise the grain bed up enough in my opion ,,,,  some of my very best beers are done this way
in fact I all ways do this except for a light pilsner which I don't do them anyway which mash would be around 148-150
Try it

The reason ,,,before I started doing this was my beers seems to be a little thin at the end of my pallet so I seen in a magazine where Bell two hearted and this was there mash schedule
Hopes this helps
John

Back