• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

no sparge brewing

br194

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to BeerSmith.Has anyone tryed no sparg brewing and can the program be setup to give what the numbers of #'s of grain and what the OG should be? I just wonder what equiptment to setup for my program. Thanks, Jay

What's your recipe?  You would enter your equipment profile as normal.  For mash, choose single infusion and uncheck batch sparge.  Make sure infusion step water is the total preboil volume plus whatever your grain absorption is.  Then, BS should say fly sparge with something close to 0 gallons of water.

Mark

I was looking for some help a while ago as well and did discover a work around and posted to a similar thread as follows:

pcollins said:
Did a no sparge today and discovered that there is a bit of a work around in BeerSmith.

When you select a Mash Profile you can edit it. In the editing window you'll see down near the bottom there is a check box for BIAB Mash with full boil. I think that is as close as I can get but the volumes for strike water etc. are not correct. I enter 7 gallons as my boil volume basis and it tells me that my strike water volume should be 28 quarts. That's fine except that won't leave me with a boil volume of 7 gallons as it's not accounting for absorption.

Close...

Edit: I just went back to check and what I ended up doing was creating a "No Sparge" mash profile using 7 gallons as my boil volume base and the BIAB full volume mash check box checked. Doing that combined with my equipment details did give me a correct strike water volume of 31.39 qts. That seems closer to what is needed. 7 gal + absorption + dead space.

Hope that's helpful.

Thanks for the input, I'll give it a try this weekend. I haven't used beersmith yet so this will be interesting. Thanks again, Jay

Back