• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wow, Yeast Nutrient Really Works

Big B

Brewer
Reaction score
I just finished a Belgian Dubble.  This was the first beer I used yeast nutrient in.  I had aerated my wort, and used a yeast starter in the past but in this brew I wanted to try the nutrient.  Wow, this beer went crazy in fermentation.  It stared quick and was done in less than four days.  I used the WLP530.  The uncarbonated wort tasted great,  can't wait to try the finished product. 

IMO the yeast nutrient combined with 20 min of aeration and the starter made what would have been a good beer into a potentially great beer.  Is it all in my head or did this ferment so quickly because of the nutrient? 

Here is a link to the video of the Yeast going crazy: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150466494008594

I made cyser a couple years ago. K1V crapped out around 15%.
Remade it this year with nutrient and it went dry (for honey). Tried it with a 14% yeast (that I've always had luck stopping around 13%) and it went to 16% with nutrient.

I'd say it's not your imagination.

At $2.25 for 20 batches worth, or ten cents per 5 gallon batch, it's a good thing to do for the yeast making your beer. 

What nutrient are you talking about here? I just used Servomyces in my latest batch of American Stout (OG 1.065) and the fermentation started quickly and is robust (lots of bagurgling through the airlock!). The Servomyces is a big pricey though, about $2.50/5 gallon batch of beer.

Johnnyv42 said:
What nutrient are you talking about here? I just used Servomyces in my latest batch of American Stout (OG 1.065) and the fermentation started quickly and is robust (lots of bagurgling through the airlock!). The Servomyces is a big pricey though, about $2.50/5 gallon batch of beer.

This is similar to the stuff I use. 
http://www.store.homebrew4less.com/prodinfo.asp?number=LD6368A&variation=

1TSP per Gallon.  It works out to be $0.65 per batch.  But that is a small price to pay to have my beer ferment out quick and clean.

I use the Wyeast brand nutrient. 

I read in Yeast (that new book) that the Servo product is dead yeast cells 'infused' with zinc and other nutrients.  So I use the Wyeast nutrient for that, and add some outdated dry yeast cells for that aspect of it.  Seems to work. 

It works a little too well, having blown the airlock off my carboy yesterday. Oh well lesson learned, and now I know how to fab a blow off tube in an emergency ::)
The more I learn the less I know :D
cheers

Back