• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Addition of yeast nutrients

cowboy up

Brewer
Reaction score
I would like to try adding yeast nutrients to my yeast. The bottle says to add one tsp. per gallon, but it doesn't say when to add it. I called a local brew shop and I was told to add it when I pitched the yeast. The question I have is, if I add the nutrient when I pitch the yeast won't I be introducing germs into my wort? It seems to me I would add it to the boil at some point so as to be a sterile adjunct. Not being sure I did not use any nutrient with this batch of beer. Any advice would be appreciated thanks!      Cowboy Up

I add it to the last 10 min of the boil just to make sure it is properly dissolved.  I too used 1 TSP per gallon, and it made the world of difference.  Cut my fermentation time in half.

Thanks guys, adding it to the boil makes more sense. Have a great holiday season!                Cowboy Up.

Back