• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith 2 Build 51 (Open Beta) Available

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,
NOTE - THIS BUILD HAS BEEN REPLACED BY BUILD 52 - here: http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,6207.0.html

I've posted BeerSmith 2 build 51 here which has a handful of critical fixes on equipment and customizing columns as well as improved international support for translation.
    Release notes: http://www.beersmith.com/beersmith-2-build-51-release-notes/

Currently I have the PC version installer here:
    http://beersmith.com/download/BeerSmith2_51.exe

I'm still completing the Mac version (in the middle of updating to the latest Mac XCode development build) but should have it
posted here in a few days (as tomorrow is Thanksgiving).

If you find bugs specific to this version, please post them here in this thread.  I will roll this with the latest Mac version together shortly for the next formal release.

Cheers,
Brad

I just finished installing build 51 and while I'm no longer getting an error crash message when I try to customize my folder columns, the changes I make will not stay in place. As soon as I close Beersmith, the column order will not stay in place. I have a folder setup called "Brewed" for all the recipes I'm made. I would like to see the columns in this order; Name, Type, OG Range, Date, End Date, and Measured ABV. I set this as my order, but after closing and reopening the order will be OG Range, Name, Type, End Date, Date, Measured ABV. I've tried to alter this by clicking and dragging columns to the order I like and also by going through the Customize Column section. Neither will hold my settings. Am I doing something wrong or is this another bug? I am using Windows 7, if that matters.

Hi,
  The problem is likely that there is only one set of columns for all folders.  So if you want to customize columns you should do it on the "My Recipes" folder and then close the program to save it.  I just ran a test using the My Recipes folder and altering the columns and it seems to save those settings fine.

I think that the customize of the subfolder may possibly be overwritten by the My Recipes folder settings since those get saved last. (when you have multiple folders open).

I'll do some more testing with multiple folders to see if I can get it to save the last one changed instead of just saving the last one closed (which is My Recipes).

Brad

I went ahead and tried to adjust the "My Recipes" folder and those settings will not stay either. I also noticed that if I right-click and choose to go to the "Customize Column" section, the OG Range will no longer appear on the list on the left or my list on the right. Although, it is showing in my selected columns when I exit that section. I've noticed that if I remove a column the unused column will appear on the bottom of the list on the left side. The OG Range will not show there either.

TJ,
  Double check on the About box (Help->About) to see that you indeed do have build 2.0.51.  I've added OG Range to my My Recipes columns and it stored it properly and also restored it to those settings on the next load.

One problem might also be that the earlier build (build 50) messed up the first column which is generally not editable (sounds like yours is set to "OG Range" for example).  If this is the case, please go into your Documents/BeerSmith directory and delete the files BSCols.BXX and BSCols.BX2 if they exist.  This will reset all of the columns in the program so the name appears in the first column always and it is generally not editable.  All the other columns are.  Let me know if this helps correct things.

Brad

I checked and I am running the correct version. I went ahead and deleted the 2 files you mentioned and then reopened the program. I was able to customize the columns with no problems after that. Thank you so much for your help!  ;D

Brad,

Custom Columns may still have an issue. . .
I had the gadget crash error and the first column vanishing issue so I installed BeerSmith 2 build 51 and deleted the BSCols.BX2 and BSCols.Bxx files as suggested. Launched the new build 51 and made sure I was on the "My Recipes" root folder to changed a few of the columns. Everything look fine except for one subfolder I had created on 11/27 just prior to me discovering the column header issue. The changes I had made to the columns while on the root folder did not effect this folder. All of the other subfolders would update correctly, but not this one folder. I had different column titles in the folder I created 11/27 using build 50. I finally noticed that the contents under the titles matched the column changes I had made but the column names were wrong in this one folder. I finally created a new folder and moved all of my files to the new subfolder then deleted the folder with the columns issue. As long as I'm on the "My recipes" root folder everything seems to work. All of the folders track with the changes. I am posting this just in case there is some link between the column issues and a specific folder which a user may have created while using build 50. Deleting the suspect folder seems to have worked.

Hi,
  To the best of my knowledge different folders should not have different columns (unless they were opened before you changed the columns).  I'll go in and take a close look at this.  If you have a file to send me with the problem that would be very helpful (perhaps one of your backups such as Recipe1.bsmx, Recipe2.bsmx, etc.. from your Documents/BeerSmith2 directory).

Brad

Brad,

Tried to recreate the column issue where a folder will have a column header which does not match the column values. And was able to create a column which displays data which is incorrect for the column header. Here is how... I started with BeerSmith 2 build 51 and all of the column headers in all of the folders match and the column data is correct for the header title. In the left pane, I selected a folder which is below the main "My Recipes" folder. In the right pane, I right clicked on the column header band and selected "customize Columns...". I then added an available field from the right to the left displayed columns and selected OK. I then selected the My Recipes folder and do not see the column I added. It is only on the sub folder where I added the new column. I then picked a second subfolder and added a different column. Looked back through the folders and found this column was added to only the one folder. Now I have three different column settings depending which folder you open. I now select the My Recipes folder and add yet another different column. When I added a column to the My Recipes folder the headers here updated to include the header I added to the last subfolder, but did not include the column I had added to the first sub folder (column title bar seemed to correct itself when it refreshed/updated). Now when I open the first sub folder the data is wrong for the column title. I also noticed that this incorrect column has appeared in a couple of the other folders (showing wrong data) although I did not add the column to these specific folders. I close the program, and relaunched. Now all of the columns appear in all of the folders. The program saved my new settings on close (as it should). It appears to be some sort of issue with the program refreshing the column changes if the user is not on the My Recipes folder. (My Recipes does not have focus). If the My Recipes folder is selected when the changes are made it does seem to change all of the subfolders. If you change a subfolder the change is only in that folder until you close the program and relaunch. If you change several of the subfolders (add different columns for each) then go to the My Recipes folder and add a column some of the subfolders are updated to match and some do not which causes the data shown to not match the column title. But if you close the program and relaunch all is corrected. Maybe just an issue with when/how the program writes the changes and reads to refresh/update the column information.

Back