• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Triple Decocotion, Worth it?

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I'd like to make a Weizenbock.  If you look at the clone for Aventius in BYO's clone magazine it says to really get the most out of it, you should use a triple decocotion.  Is the difference really that noticeable with today's highly modified grain?  Since wheat is the primary base grain (with some pils I believe) does that necessitate the decocotion.  If a decocotion is useful does it need to be a triple?  Will a single or double do just as well?

Input appreciated

You are right that a triple decoction is not necessary for protein rest with today's highly modified grain.

However I don't think you'll get the same flavor. Think about it. You're removing a portion of the mash and bringing it to a full boil before adding it back in. Each time you do this you are caramelizing some of the sugars as you boil the grain.
Personally I mash out using single step decoction, and I do think it improves the flavor.

The only reason I've never done it (triple) is that I'm lazy. Frankly I just don't want to add another couple hours to the brew day.

I can't speak to a triple, but my friend starting decocting and we did side-by-side tasting with his lighter beers like Kolsch and we both could tell the decocted beers fairly easily.

It was not a mind-numbing, I'll decoct-or-not-bother difference, but it was there.  By the same token, I can tell German Marzen beers from US breweries and I think it is decoction (German) versus using caramel grains (US). 

Back