• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Missing Data in Brew Log

Peter McQuillen

Apprentice
Reaction score
OK, this is weird!  Bear with the long explanation...
Something happened with my laptop and BeerSmith stopped working.  The progress indicator completes 2 and a third trips across the screen and stops.  Within seconds I get the microsoft error message, "sorry... it can't run, send error message?"  OK, whatever.  I moved BeerSmith to my desktop, created the BeerSmith 2 directory under MyDocuments and moved the BeerSmith data files to that directory via memory stick.  BeerSmith 2 opens just fine, opens the data files just fine, but a big chunk of data is missing!  Like the last 40 batches that should be in the Brew Log!  So maybe the file got corrupted when I was trying to start BeerSmith 2 on the laptop.  I checked all of the backup Recipe files, and they are all the same.  Well, I did try to start BeerSmith 2 a number of times on the laptop, so maybe I replaced all of the backup files with the corrupted file.  So I found an old backup that was created on the laptop but never opened on the laptop and the same thing happened!

Any ideas?  All of the recipe files show the same last batch in the Brew Log, like I was opening the same file over and over.  First assumption, Brew Log is in the Recipe.bsmx file.  It is the data file that keeps growing. I did open BeerSmith 2 and then under FILE, I opened the various Recipe*.bsmx files.  Curious, even though I opened the files and then did nothing except close BeerSmith 2, it always asked me if I wanted to save the changes in that file...  I, of course, didn't save changes.

I would be happy to send any or all data files to BeerSmith, if you want to verify anything.  Recipes.bsmx is 8,385 KB.

HELP!

More Information:
I forgot to mention - Microsoft XP Pro, not Apple.
Here is what I found in the Recipe.bsmx file when I opened it with WordPad.

<Name>Brew Log</Name>
<Type>7372</Type>
<Owndata>1</Owndata>
<TID>1</TID>
<Size>89</Size>
<_XName>Brew Log</_XName>

So it looks like the Brew Log should have 89 files in it, and that is correct.  The attached file shows what I see when I open BeerSmith 2.
It shows 49 brews in the brew log, not 89.  And it shows that "S8 - Sweet Daddy Stout" was the latest one, brewed on 9/11/2010.
But in the Recipe.bsmx file I found
<Recipe><_MOD_>2011-11-06</_MOD_>
<F_R_NAME>HA-11 - Peter&#39;s Harvest Ale (Pale Ale)</F_R_NAME>
<F_R_BREWER>Peter McQuillen</F_R_BREWER>
<F_R_ASST_BREWER></F_R_ASST_BREWER>
<F_R_DATE>2011-11-06</F_R_DATE>
<F_R_INV_DATE>2011-11-06</F_R_INV_DATE>
??
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Attachments

• BeerSmith Print Screen.pdf
    161.3 KB · Views: 300
My brew log data is also missing. I'm not aware of any corruption or failure with the software, but when I went to look at my old brew logs, only a couple were there. Dozens just vanished into the stratosphere. Does anyone have suggestions on how to recover them? I have an older saved copy of my Beersmith 2 directory in a different folder location, but it would be missing several brew sessions since I copied the data to that folder. Maybe I can import my old brew sessions somehow?

Back