• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Problems with Nottingham Yeast

ibrewalot

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Anyone else using Nottingham dry ale yeast and having problems?  They recently changed the packaging of the yeast and my local homebrew supply store assures me they didn't change the yeast strain, but my last 3 batches have blown the top off the primary after a couple of days.  :eek:  This wouldn't be such a big deal, but I've been using Nottingham for years (since Edme did the same packaging/strain change years ago) and hadn't had problems until I started using the "new" pack.  The new package is bigger, but I used to use 2 of the older one and have used half of the new one, but it still blows up!  

If anyone has had a similar experience and has a solution, I'd be greatful since I have 3 packages left.  I may have to rig up some blowoff tube until I'm out of this yeast?

Blowoff isn't a problem, it's a great sign that the yeast is healthy and viable. I'd go with a whole package (in fact, I'm just getting ready to order some) and rig up the blowoff tube. Your beer will thank you for it.

I agree - I use a large diameter blowoff tube on a 5 gallon carboy and it gets a lot of the tannins and other junk out of the beer up front.

Cheers!
Brad

I just put up a batch with Nottingham yeast- we'll see what happens.  It's fermenting but it smells awfully yeasty.

Then again- this is my third batch ever so I really don't know squat yet.- I'll keep you posted.

the yeast worked great for me- my primary was done in a plastic brew bucket covered with frementation lock. fermented rapidly for 4 days with no problems@ 65 degrees.  Transferred to secondary. had a good inch + worth of sediment. In the secondary the fermentation slowed significantly- all seems well- I'm getting thirsty

I have used this for two batches so far without such issues. Pitching a complete packet into 5 gallon (about 18L) batch sizes. The second is still in the fermenter but the first yielded an excellent product. I have been a wet yeast fan for years but was willing to retry the dry Nottingham product. The results were positive.

I've since switched for Safale #4 only.  I tried Safale #33 (I think it was) and every batch had to use a blowoff tube! :)  Pretty feisty stuff.  Nottingham's out, Safale #4's in and good results across the board.

I'm with CJ on this. The only problem I have had with nottingham is a yeasty taste . I'm in the process of finding out what caused it. :(   I wish all my brews would have to have a blowoff.

I agree with using Nottingham, especially if you are after a neutral flavor.  This yeast has convinced many members of our club to use Nottingham for a number of their beers.

I use a large diameter blowoff tube on most of my brews.  If you wish pick up some foam control.  I think fermtech offers it.

Fred

Back