• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Volume Needed?

R. Gibson

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I have been all-grain brewing 5-gallon batches now for about 5 years...which has been sufficient for my own consumption, but my friends are starting to get thirstier, and I plan on brewing 10 gallons at a time in the near future. I currently use a 15 gallon boil kettle and a 10 gallon drink cooler for my mash tun (I've been intending to ramp up my batch sizes for the last few years...)

Anyway, according to BeerSmith, if I simply scale up my recipes to 10 gallons, I need nearly 15 gallons of mash volume...even if I manually set my grain/water ratio to 1:1 in the Mash In window. This particular recipe has about 24 pounds of grain in it, for the 10 gallon batch.

Now, when I go to MoreBeer's website and look at their 10 gallon cooler system, they state that they can easily get 30 pounds of grain into a 10 gallon cooler at a ratio of 1:1...so I'm wondering who is right? If MoreBeer is right, why is BS wrong?..or should I say, which SETTING is wrong?  ???

Okay, duh I feel stupid now.  ::)

After playing with it for a bit, I realized that the mash-out water is what was putting it over the top. If I simply do a single-infusion mash, with no mash out, and a 1:1 ratio, it only takes about 8 gallons...which leaves a fair bit of head-space at the top of the 10 gallon mash tun.

The Green Bay Rackers have a helpful tool called "Can I mash it" that could help you wiht this too.

Back