• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Does Beersmith pre-boil gravity estimates take into consideration Dextrose?

worldzfree

Brewer
Reaction score
Brewing an IIPA today.  Using planned dextrose sugar addition during boil to bump up post-boil OG.  When I pull up the brew steps view it has an estimated pre-boil gravity.  Is that estimated pre-boil gravity taking into consideration the dextrose even though I am not adding the dextrose until boil has started?

I can tell you that Beersmith does include sugars in the pre boil gravity as they are considered as fermentables.

It was one of my conclusion during a batch of Belgian Triple, including of course Candi Sugar.

The sugar being included in this pre boil OG, I could never reach the estimated pre boil gravity or calculate the actual one and compare with my measures unless I removed the sugars from my recipes and check the new pre boil OG.

After that experience, I double checked my fermentables additions, while editing your sugars, you've got an option "add after boil"
which removes the sugars from the pre boil OG calculations.

Excellent!  That jives up with what I think I was seeing.  I will now make it so the sugar I add in the future is set as "add after boil" so I don't have a panic attack  ;).  Thanks for the info.

Back