• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Diacetyl rest/ secondary fermentation for California Common

Whitefish

Apprentice
Reaction score
Saturday I brewed a California Common recipe (extract w/ steeped grain)
Est OG (using BeerSmith2) 1.047, measured at 1.049.
Pitched one nicely swelled package of Wyeast 2112 at about 66* (sugested fermentation range 58* - 68*)
Put fermentation pail in the basement (ambient temp 63*) wrapped with a wet towel.
12 hours later the fermentaion lock is bubbling nicely and the temp of the bucket is 61*.
Happy yeast means life is good.

One of the fellows at my local Northern Brewing store suggested doing a diacetly rest when the beer is about 80% done, then crashing it back to cool temperature to finish fermentation.
Two questions:
1) Can I/should I make this a part of a move to a secondary fermentor (6 gallon Better Bottle) by bringing the primary up to 68* or so, letting it rest for a day, transferring beer to the secondary and then taking it down to 60* or so for secondary fermentation; or should I go through the process of di rest and then monitor the gravity until it hits ~1.018 (which BeerSmith suggests as a target for the end of primary)and only then transfer to secondary? Or just bag the secondary fermentor and let it sit on the yeast for another couple of weeks after di rest weeks and go to bottles when the gravity is closer to 1.011?

I didn't bother with this rest for my common nor do I for most hybrids.  I used the same yeast and no diacetyl.

For my lagers, I raise the temperature to about 60-62 degrees for the final 2 days of  primary.  Then, xfer to secondary, cold crash to the upper 30's for 2-3 months.

Mark

Back