• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

honey

H

hunter

i understand honey is highly fermentable,if i were to use it instead of corn sugar would i use the same amount of honey as i would corn sugar.and if i used honey for priming would i use 3/4 of cup just like i would with corn sugar.and if i were to replace corn syrup with honey would i replace it pound for pound.thanks for any help.

Start with 37-38% more honey by weight than cor sugar to get the same effect.  

Anyone know the weight of 3/4 cup of corn sugar?

Also honey is a natural product and there is some variation in fermentables per batch of honey.

Fred

It's also my understanding that for the honey to be fermentable (as an adjunct in your wort or for bottling) you need to boil it longer. Less time boiling yields a sweeter taste with less fermentable sugars and a longer boil time yields a drier taste with more fermentable sugars in wort. I understand that this is due to the conversion of the complex sugars to fermentable simple sugars durring the boil. I've never bottled with honey however I would imagine the same principles would apply. Anyone want to confirm what I've been told?

You can add honey during the boil(losing most of the aroma)
You can add it after the boil
Or you can prime with it
It has less fermentables than sugar so it is not a direct lb. per lb. replacement.
When I use honey I usually boil it for a few minutes with water but that is just to thin it out so it will mix better. It is fermentable as is and is naturally sterile.
I dont like to prime with it as the % of fermentables varies from each batch. Also, priming with honey will not really affect the taste as it is such a small amount.
In amounts over 5 % of the grain bill you start to get a honey flavor. Less than that will increase alcohol without darkening the beer.

i'v been using honey in almost all of my batches so far and i really like it.the beer has been turning out well.

I use honey when I want to add more ooomf, but I don't want a bigger beer by adding more malt.  The honey doesn't add a "lot" of taste (I boil it for the whole 45 minutes I boil an extract batch) and the results are far better than if you were to use corn sugar instead.

i just tested my nut brown ale,i had liquid malt dry maltlittle bit of grains and i also used 1 lbs. of corn sugar,it made it a bit lighter like an american brown ale and i absalutely love i don't think it's gonna last long.i,ve read horrable things about corn sugar but i haven't noticed much of what i read i just don't use more than 1 lbs. per batch if i use it,it's great for that oomph.i also like the honey and corn sugar in the lighter hot weather beers i made.both are great for blonde ales.

Back