• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Clarification on amount of sparge water

graybabe

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am new to this wonderful software and am really trying to figure out all it has to offer.  I am making my first recipe today and the instructions are telling me to do something that seems off to me so I figured I would ask all of you for help.  I am doing a single infusion, medium body, batch sparge.  I have a 9 gallon kettle.  I have made my equipment profile to match my equipment.  I am shooting for a bottling volume of 5 gal.  The instructions of the recipe say to mash with 26 quarts and sparge with 3.92 gal @ 168° F.  By my calculations this will give me over 10 gal in the boiler.  When I open up the mash profile it tells me to mash with 12.5 quarts @ 171° F.  The recipe also tells me to start the boil with 7 gal.  This is also my first time sparging so maybe I am not fully understanding something.  I can't fit 10 gal into a 9 gal pot so something is off somewhere.  I would greatly appreciate any help.

OK after looking at everything I can it looks like my grain is going to absorb almost 2 gallons.  This must be what I missed.  If anybody has any other thoughts that would be much appreciated.

Most definitely, you cannot forget the grain absorption.  Using round numbers, your grain will absorb about a pint per pound.  You will also need to account for the dead space in your mash ton.  On the Mash tab, pay attention to the right hand side where it talks about the amount of water in the boil kettle.  Also, don't be surprised if you have to tweak settings the first few times you brew.  Every piece of equipment is different and remember that the software is doing it's best to estimate off what you have input for equipment values.

Back