• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

beers tastes rather carbonated/bitter.

MRMARTINSALES

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
hi all,

me again with another query regarding my last batch.

the beer seems to taste quite bitter on the back of the throat almost like a gassy kind of taste. i havent used overloads of hops etc so was wondering if there was anything in the process that could affect this (water maybe) and any remedies for it would be appreciated

thanks guys

thanks for your reply.

my ingredients are as follows for a 75 litre batch

caramel malt 0.8kg
pale malt 14 kg
fuggles hops 27g
goldings hops 53g
northern brewer hops 27g
whirfloc tablet. 3
safale -04 yeast 3 pkgs
auxillary and isinglass finings

Why would the yeast do that to the beer? What do I need to do decrease the yeast?

I calculated that this is a 20gal batch.. 75L converts to 20 US Gallons.. that's not enough yeast for that big of a batch.. Plus Safale -04 "personally" isn't my favorite yeast to use. And your hop usage in that large of a batch was low enough you really shouldn't have any hop issues. I was thinking that maybe the NB was the culprit but not at 1 oz. for this batch size. 

Are you serving it too cold?

Sounds like the body is really low.  There are a few common causes:
-
  • Over Sparging.  Can be thin and a bit astringent
  • Mash temp too low.  Leads to less body and malt to bitterness out of balance
  • Hop Measurements were wrong and you added too much boil hops
  • Wild yeast munched away all the remaining sugars
  • You are serving a mild beer too cold and the malt is suppressed and all that is left is bitterness and biting carbonation

Thanks for that. I mean it tastes fine just slightly bitter. Maybe the mashing is the reason as in my other post I said that I cannot maintain 65 degrees c. Beer is being served at cellar temp so not too cold. Hops are as per beersmith scaling. Maybe the mash is to blame. What do you think

Maybe start with 67c and let it drop.  It will stay in the conversion range longer.

Are you batch sparging? Fly sparging?

What about your gravity readings?  Are you achieving your targets? 

How long do you boil?

When are the hops added?  All full boil?

I would doubt the mash is the main problem but you are probably dealing with multiple problems.  That amount of hops sounds very wrong and can't produce a prominent bitter by itself in a 75 liter batch.

I am fly sparging and no I don't seem to be gettin a high enoug readin OG is about 1.030 and should be more towards the 1.043. I have missed another set of hops out there I also add 100G of another hop. Jomebrew- thanks for your input to all of this

Wow.  I calculate your efficiency around 50% which is most likely due to the mash problems.  You are not converting the sugar very efficiently.  I am envisioning a very thin beer with little not no malt body.

The balance of bitter to malt is going to be way off too.

You can reduce the hops by 40%

You can increase the malt by 70%

I upped your malt to 20KG and 1.4KG using 50% efficiency which brings the OG back to the right range. 

Hi, how did you calculate my efficiency? That's would probably be the answer then. Thanks alot

MRMARTINSALES said:
I am fly sparging and no I don't seem to be gettin a high enoug readin OG is about 1.030 and should be more towards the 1.043. I have missed another set of hops out there I also add 100G of another hop. Jomebrew- thanks for your input to all of this

I adjusted the efficiency using a simple tool on my web site (also in my BeerCal Android tool which does do metric values). 
http://web.jomebrew.com/beercalc.htm
View Change a Recipe to Reach a Target Gravity
Your target was 1.043 but actual was 1.030.  the difference is 13
Gravity points to change13
Using MAX PPG (from HTB)38
Using Efficiency50
Batch Size (gallons)20

Shows
LBS of Grain  13.68 lbs (6.1kg)

So, to increase the 1.030 at 50% efficiency to 1.043, I rounded to 6kg 14kg+6kg= 20kg.

Also, change the gravity points to 30 and you will see it calculates 31.58lbs or 14.5kg which shows the amount of base malt you said you used.  messing around with the efficiency, you can see it was closer to 51.3% to get 1.030 SG out of 14kg of malt.

Back