• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Carbonation after bottling

Devrek

Apprentice
Reaction score
I believe that my remaining yeast in my Belgium Tripple has gone dormant and my beer is not carbonating at all in the bottles because of it. I was thinking about buying some carbonation tabs and opening every bottle adding one then re-capping... Are there any other options at this point? Thanks, Devrek

"Carbonation tabs" are just a measured amount of sugar. All you'd end up doing adding more sugar is over carbonating when you figure out how to wake the yeast up.

First off you need to figure out why the yeast is dormant. Is it too cold or is the beer above the alcohol tolerance?
If it's too cold move it to a warmer place and gently swirl the yeast in the bottles to get it back in suspension.

If it's above the alcohol tolerance of the yeast you used you need to add a yeast that can go higher.

Not knowing any specifics of the beer I can't be any more specific.

I will try moving it to a warmer area in the house and see what happens... But I think the yeast went dormant because it was overworked during the main fermentation.. I added two vials of White Labs Belgium Strong Ale yeast and the fermentation lasted two months. I started with 1.092 and ended with 1.016. It has been conditioning for almost a month now and still nothing... If there is anything else you would like to know about it please ask; this is not a beer I want to lose. Thanks, Devrek

According to your SG and FG it seems your beer would be a hair under 10%.  The yeast you used has a "High" Alcohol tolerance, which should give you the green light from 10-12%.  Did you use a yeast starter, and or nutrient?  Going that big you should have done both.  What temp did you ferment at? 68-72 degrees?  I would bring the bottle temps up to 72-73 degree area and let them sit for two weeks at that temp.  I doubt the yeast is dead so it should be able to be revived. 

Back