• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

mash profiles

goldentrout

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am still learning the software and have a few questions (also only on my 2nd AG).  I am trying to get a mash profile that uses two relatively equal amounts of water, both for the strike water and the second charge of water (sparge)...draining the tun in between the two of course.  I keep getting brew steps saying to mash in with 28 quarts of water, and then to sparge with like 2.5 gallons of water.  I just seem to think that 2.5 gallons of water isn't going to even suspend all that grain (13.5 lbs) to extract those sugars that are left behind after the first runnings.  I understand that the grain really shouldn't absorb much more water on the second charge...so the volume amounts will be slightly different.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance. 

I used 2 gallons of sparge water for 19.25 lbs of grain and did ok.  This was using a square 12 gallons cooler for a mash tun.

Mark 

OK...but I have a 15 gallon tun.  Maybe I would be fine.  Is there an advantage to doing a much larger strike and mash with a smaller sparge?

This will help with your question.  Take a look under the mash thickness heading.

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Understanding_Efficiency

Thinner mashes allow for faster conversion.  If you thin it out...say below 1.2 qts/lb you probably will want to ensure conversion is done before sparging.

For bigger bears I mash in at a ratio that allows my first runnings to be close in volume to second runnings.  For beers 1.070 and lower I mash in at 1.3-1.4 qts/lb.

Mark

I am sorry, I should have been more specific.  I am trying to set up a mash profile in BeerSmith to reflect somewhat equal volume of runnings for a batch sparge.  Can anyone help with suggestions for the software portion?

Beersmith doesn't try and balance first-runnings and batch sparges.  I don't think that would be appropriate, anyway...the two are separate things.  As discussed in the links provided mash thickness is what you want to control.  The first runnings are simply a consequence of the mash thickness and grain absorption.  There is a "checkbox" to equalize multiple batch sparge charges---which IS desirable.

You CAN do this manually, though.  Your mash thickness is on the upper end of "thin" at 2.1 qt/lb.  In most cases a thicker mash will be better...closer to 1.5 qt/lb than 2 qt/lb.  So, if you increase your mash thickness by reducing the strike water, you will reduce the qty of the first runnings.  This will increase your sparge water requirement...working to equalize the first-runnings and sparge water. 

You will have to calculate the absorbtion yourself, as I'm not aware that BS outputs the predicted first-runnings volume.  The absorption rate defaults to 0.96 oz H2O/oz-grain, and is modifiable on the Advanced page of the options dialog.  If my math is right, that's ~6.5 qts for your 13.5 lbs.  I'm guessing your total volume into the kettle is ~7.875 gallons.  Divide by 2 for equal runnings, and add the absorbtion = 22.25 qts strike water.  That will give you a mash thickness of 1.65 qts/lb...which should be better for your mash. 

Using 1.65 qt/lb (with the default absorption rate) should always result in equal first-runnings and sparge volume. 

Tom, if you check the check box in mash within that profile BS does try to match 1st drain with the sparge step(s).

Mark

Kinda....but, not in the way the OP is wanting.  Checking that box will NOT adjust the strike volume.  It will only adjust the batch volumes.  Strike volume doesn't change, so first runnings won't change.  So, if the first runnings exceed the total sparge volume, BS won't do anything to equalize the two. 

Back