• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipe files from XP to Windows 7

PiaPete

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have two laptops, one running XP and the other newer one running Windows 7.  I have BS2 on both laptops.  All of my recipes are on my old XP laptop and I want to transfer them over to the new computer.  I have tried exporting to a flash drive but when I use the import wizard it does not find a .bsm file on the flash drive.  I tried copying the "C:\Program Files\BeerSmith2" directory from the old computer to the new one and that does not work.  I do not see any "My Recipes" files under the "C:\Program Files\BeerSmith2".  I am at a loss of what to do next.

Hi,
  The import wizard is really for BeerSmith 1 files and not BeerSmith 2 files.

All of your BeerSmith 2 data is in Documents/BeerSmith2 by default (for the user you regularly log into).  If you copy that entire directory over it should move all of your data to the new machine.

Brad

Is there a way to transfer just one recipe at a time from computer to computer via flash drive rather than transferring all existing information? My main computer, a PC running XP is a more comfortable work spot, and where I do most of the work. My laptop, Win 7, is what I take out to use while brewing. While preparing for the brew day, I want to transfer the recipe file to the laptop, but may work later on a different brew project. I would prefer not having to transfer everything again in order to save my work.

Hi,
  Yes you can easily export a recipe (or set of selected ones) as a BSMX file using "Export Selected" which exports the selected items.  Then move that file over to your laptop, open it there and copy/paste the recipes as needed into your My Recipes folder for use on the laptop.

Brad

Brad,
I did get this to work after a bunch of trial and error, but I have a couple of questions for clarification's sake. After selecting a file & using the "Export Selected"  option, the export window opened, but I found that although I had already selected the file, I still had to manually type its name in. It worked but seemed rather odd. Is this the proper way, or did I miss something? 
Then to import it to my laptop from the flash drive, I found that couldn't just drag and drop it as one would expect, but I had to close BeerSmith then open the imported file by itself before dragging it into the recipe folder. Again, is this normal?
If both of these steps are correct, than I must say that it was a bit awkward and non-intuitive, but it did work.
Thanks,
- Porkbutter.

I had the same "problem" and this worked perfectly. Thanks! :)

BeerSmith said:
Hi,
  The import wizard is really for BeerSmith 1 files and not BeerSmith 2 files.

All of your BeerSmith 2 data is in Documents/BeerSmith2 by default (for the user you regularly log into).  If you copy that entire directory over it should move all of your data to the new machine.

Brad

Back