• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

"est mash eff" on recipe design page

brewlord

Apprentice
Reaction score
Fist off, beersmith is a great piece of software, and I am enjoying it immensely.

Question:

On the recipe design page, there is a "est mash eff". Mine is at 94%. I can't edit this field, and I can't find out where this info is coming from.

any ideas?

Thanks.

Eric.

Take a look at your Total Efficiency on the design tab.  What does that read?

Mark

I created a profile for my equipment, and set it at 80%. But, that field is editable. the "est mash eff" is not.

You probably have something set in your profile beyond reasonable that gives you a bad brewhouse efficiency outside of mash efficiency. So by setting the brewhouse efficiency to 80% it's trying to make up for it by increasing the mash efficiency to something equally unreasonable.

I have checked everywhere, and cannot find how this number is generated. Is there a way to just remove it?

Whether you could remove the mash efficiency number or not it's still going to be there and be wrong.

Assuming all your equipment entries are correct the obvious answer is your brewhouse efficiency is not 80% so move it down until your estimated mash efficiency is lining up with your actual efficiency.

I was having a hard time getting the number to change, turns out it only changes when you save the recipe.

I was under the assumption that when you type in your measured BG, that the total efficiency and est mash efficiency would change. But it doesn't.

No worries, I cranked down my total efficiency until it hit my actual measured BG. I guess I am way less efficient than I thought I was. 

Back