• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast Pitching Temperature

M

MTavis

Unfortunately I think that I received some poor advice as to the importance of temperature.  What effect (stout is the beer) on the yeast is seen if the wort is not adequately cooled when the yeast is pitched?  What should be done?  thanks as always for the help on this site as well.

Define 'not adequately cooled'...

For instance, if you pitched at 100dF, I think you'll be fine. Most bread yeasts are proofed in about 110dF water (bread yeast is the same species as beer yeast), so I don't think you'd see too many negative repercussions--that is, as long as you drop temperature soon to the yeasts optimal fermentation range (ie. 69-74dF).

However, if you pitched right after the boil, before chilling at all, your yeast are almost certainly dead. In this case, you'll have to repitch, and preferably soon.

I cooled it in a cold water bath for about 5-10 minutes.  Until I could touch the pot without hurting my hands.  

The yeast probably died or is so shocked it will not do its job. I would repitch ASAP. Should be fine with new yeast.

there was some minimal activity (this is still within 20 hours of brewing) on the airlock this afternoon.  If I repitched yeast but the original batch wasnt dead or shocked, would I be ruining the beer or it would be ok no matter what?

Drop to under 70dF ferment,
then ship the batch to me for proper (oral) evaluation and disposal.  

If you are having activity within 20hrs you are fine.  Drop the temp to under 70F and you should be fine.

Fred

Tip, first use Beersmith to find the temp range of your yeast.

Then do not do what you said below.
"I cooled it in a cold water bath for about 5-10 minutes.  Until I could touch the pot without hurting my hands."

This is a bad way to guess the temp, cause the pot will be much cooler than the wort inside. Get a thermometer, will say you lot of worries and possible bad batches.

Back