• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop Schedule - Miscue!

t3e871

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I brewed a IPA yesterday for first time and the recipe called for 1.5 oz Magnum at 60 min, 2oz Cascade at 10 min, 2 oz Cascade at 1 min. I ad-libbed and decided to first hop the wort with 1 oz of Hallartaug that I had laying around. I then added the 1.5 oz magnum at 60min, but I forgot to add the cascade...I was distracted and had the yeast pitched and was cleaning up when I realized my mistake.

I'm now thinking about dry hopping with the 4 oz of cascade in the secondary. I love hoppy IPAs and dont want to ruin my batch...what other options do I have? What about boiling 2oz of the Cascade and making a "tea" in a small amount of water and adding to the beer?

Thanks

just add the Cascades after 5 or 7 days.  Xfering to a secondary is unecessary.  Just drop them in the primary for 5 days or so. 

Missing the addition will only slightly affect the bitterness.  Some of the aromatics will also have volitized off.  Dry hopping will take care of that.  The wort hop addition probably added bittering lost, so it should all balance out. 

I wouldn't sweat the miscue on your last addition, as already suggested, it will not really have much of an affect on your overall bitterness levels.  I would strongly suggest that you make dry hopping a regular part of your IPA as you are now doing, it doesn't do anything for bitterness, but it will provide your beer with a very nice aroma and flavor that you really can't get any other way.  I dry hop in the secondary using 6 ounces (10gal batch, 3 Cascade and 3 Columbus), and in addition to the aroma/flavor, it seems to take a bit of the edge off of my 100+ IBU IPA.  If you are using pellets, you may want to put them in a mesh bag, (I use Knee High stockings), to avoid clarity/cleanup issues when racking off.  Not for everyone, but I am a fan of using a secondary (which is where I dry hop)........just easier for me to keep things clear.

I've made similar mistakes, such as adding the hop bag intended for ten minutes at 60 minutes along with the one intended for 60 minutes. The result was a Munich Helles with German Pils bittering. I considered brewing a very lightly-bittered beer to blend with the over-hopped Helles. Then, I heard a voice whispering, "Relax, have a home brew!" I drew a line through the label where I had written, "Munich Helles" and wrote in, "Sorta German Pils".

The next batch was a Munich Helles with the hop bags laid out better. Both are pretty good beers and are completely different.

The previous suggestions may be more suitable, as long as they don't violate the Prime Directive of home brewing: Relax, have a home brew.

Dan

I would make a hop tea with 2oz and dry hop with the other 2oz.

Don't over geek it! It is you first IPA. Dry hop in primary and swirl beer after a few days. Let clear before racking! Water + Malt + Hops + Yeast = BEER
That is not a mistake!

Back