• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermentation temps for Lager

vdeckard

Apprentice
Reaction score
I brewed a Pilsner Urquell all grain clone.  I've never fermented a Lager, and I am not sure how long to ferment at specific temps.  I started out with 1.061 OG, fermenting at 60 degrees.  One week later I measured 1.031 at 60 degrees.  One week later (yesterday) I measured 1.051 at 60 degrees.
At what point should I raise the temp, to clean up the yeast.  Do I wait until the beer has stopped fermenting?
Any help is much appreciated.
Prost!
Vera

I have limited experience with lager.  The one I last racked spent three weeks in primary and has not shown any activity since being put into secondary.  Another which was racked three weeks ago still has signs of activity. Both spend most of their time in the 56 degree range.

My Oktoberfest, I did 15 days primary at 50*F.  I raised to 60*F with two days remaining for diacetyl rest.  Secondary was next and I lowered it 2*F per day until I hit 36*F or so.  I leave it at this temperature for 2-3 months. 

When bottling, I raise to room temperature before the date and bottle condition at room temperature for 3-4 weeks.

Mark

That one that was racked three weeks ago spent two weeks in primary. My current one will be there for three.

Definitely not ale.

Thanks for the responses.  So what I'm understanding is that I started out fermentation too warm (60degrees)?  Its still fermenting, should I go ahead and lower the temp now?

It depends on which yeast you used. Most lager strains I have used range from upper 40's to upper 50's.  If you fermentation is still moving I would leave temperature along.  Wait a few more days and then check your gravity.  Based on that knowledge start lowering to lager temperatures.

IMO.

Mark

Back