• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

had to try it

H

hunter

i bottled a batch of canadian blonde a couple of weeks ago and i decided to do six of them in twist off bottles so i only used 2/3 of cup o priming sugar,i tried one of them today and i twisted it off with a loud psssssss.seemed to work fine in fact i think it was over carbonated but the beer tasted good.if i use them again i think i will use 1/2 cup pf priming sugar.just to be safe.i'm having problems getting enough regular bottles to keep up with the amount of beer i,m brewing. :)

LOL, me too!  I've resorted to night raiding dumpsters by restaraunts and bars.  Seems Corona bottles are the most common non-twist ones.

I get ALL my bottles from my local beer distributor for $1.75 per case. He allows me to select the best of each case.  Common courtesy...leave everything VERY NEAT...better than I found it!!!    

the problem i  have here where  live (vancouver island canada)almost everything is twist off know except hieneken,and who drinks that,so if i can get away with using twist off bottles it sure would make life a lot easier for me,so i gonna do one whole batch with twist offs this weekend. just gonna be carefull with the priming sugar. ;)

I get ALL my bottles from my local beer distributor for $1.75 per case. He allows me to select the best of each case.  Common courtesy...leave everything VERY NEAT...better than I found it!!!    
HA! got you beat. I get mine for $1.20 a case. I was thinking of buying a bunch of cases, soaking off the lables, cleaning them up, and selling them for $6.00/case. Think there's a market for that? People do it with Kegs, so why not right? Arrrghh who am I kidding. I'm too damn lazy for that.  But liquer stores are a great place to get cheap bottles. Also if you have a friend who owns a bar, you can sometimes get cheap, or even free Grolsh bottles.  I got 24 free from a friend who had a friend who owned a bar. I gave them away as gift beers though.

i wen't to the liquor store today to see if they had any grolsh flip top type bottles,i usually get 1 or 2 per week 10 cents each and today i got one of those but i also got a 1 litre brown bottle grolsh style it holds 3, 12oz bottles,i would like to get my hands on a bunch of those that would be the cat's ass.

Hunter, I have almost always used twist off type of bottles for brew as do most everyone here in Newfoundland. If we can get corona bottles we use them, but then we worry about beer being light struck. I have since went to kegging and boy is it completly different. Nothing beats kegging as per homebrew.

Back