• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dry Hopping

breibrew

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I'm dry hopping for the first time..do I just pour in the hop pellets directly into my secondary....for how long??

thanks

breil
I suggest you use the SEARCH feature at the top of the page.  Navigate to the All Grain/Advanced page and search on Dry Hop.  There is already a lot of discussion on Dry Hop techniques.  You will find a number of opinions.

David

In my experience dry hopping, I have found whole hops to work the best.  These can be added directly to the fermentor and are easy to separate out when it comes time to transfer.  If you are using pellet, I would suggest putting them in some kind of bag.  I even know of one person that uses women's knee high stockings (sanitized of course).  You can find bags at homebrew retailers that are marked for exactly this purpose.

Cheers

Pellets w/o the bag is fine.  Just wait for them to sink to bottom of carboy before racking.

Mark

glienhard said:
In my experience dry hopping, I have found whole hops to work the best...

I completely agree with this. In my experience I get better aroma out of whole  hops than do pellets. I usually dry hop for 14 to 21 days.

The only problem I ever had with dry hopping was when I tried adding dry pellets into a five gallon glass carb with five gallons of brew in it.  In retrospect it wasn't the best thing to do.  You can guess what happened.

I've been dry hopping in the keg, throw them in cheese cloth and pour the beer on top

Any of the methods suggested should work fine.  Personally I use whole hops in a nylon bag and I only leave them in the brew for up to a week.  Provides that crisp hop aroma and flavor.

Do it and have a ball.  Blanch or sanitize the bag first though.

Back