• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith asked me to activate again...now everything is gone!

mikray

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've been using Beersmith 2 since it came out.  Just this morning when I started it up, it asked me to activate my trial copy.  I did using the key I received when I upgraded from v1.4.  Now all of my recipes are gone, my profiles are gone, everything!  How can I get these back?  Thanks.

Mike

Mike,
  I've not been able to duplicate this myself but a handful of people have had this problem.  If you have any insight into possible causes (change in user permissions, crash beforehand - anything) it would be appreciated.

First make a complete backup copy of your Documents/BeerSmith2 directory.  This directory contains automatic backup files named Recipe1.bsmx, Recipe2.bsmx, etc... which have complete copies of all of your recipes.  So you should be able to open these and then copy/paste the data back into "My Recipes".

You can do the same for Equipment1.bsmx, etc... to restore anything that may have been reset in your equipment, mash or other profiles - they all have automatic backups.

I do apologize for this - as soon as I can determine why this is happening (it appears to be a very rare event) I will correct it.

Brad

Brad,

All I see are recipe.bsmx, recipe1.bsmx and so forth.  When I open them they are identical.  None of my info is there, just the sample recipes.  There are no "2" versions of any of the files.

Mike

Brad,

Never mind, I was looking in the wrong place.  I found the folder and everything is working now.  Thanks for the quick response.  The next thing I'm doing is backing up this folder.

Mike

This happened to me as well. My recipe - recipe5 files are all the same; just the beersmith samples. Nothing is in my recycle bin that was deleted either.

please tell me my recipes are not lost forever?

Hi,
The backups are automatic (Recipes1.bsmx, Recipes2.bsmx, etc...) - so they should be there. 

Some other things to check:
  - Make sure you did not make major user permission changes
  - Make sure you are logged in as the same user (another user would have another Documents directory)
  - Make sure you did not previously move the BeerSmith directory somewhere else (i.e. using the Change Documents Directory command on the File menu)
  - Try searching the entire computer for *.bsmx files

Brad

Back