• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Gas plumbing question on brew stand...

jdj213

Apprentice
Reaction score
Im currently building a "brutus like" sculpture in the garage. Ive come to the point of plumbing the LPG lines to the burners. (3 banjo) Plumbing goes:
Tank->Regulator->Hose->1/2" Black Iron pipe with 3 "T"s (each that will lead to the burners)
My question is on the pieces leading from the T's to the burners. I bought 3 24" sections of the 1/2" yellow flex hose that you can find in home depot. (I think its stainless with plastic coating) Mostly used for Kitchen ranges, dryers, etc..
    Any input on whether this will be sufficient or not? The burners are rated for up to 220K btu's, but the yellow flex hose is meant for appliances up to 92k btu's. Will these hoses still work? I didnt think it would be possible to pull the full 220k btu's from all three burners when just using a 20# propane tank, but gas plumbing is def not my specialty. Any input would be greatly helpful. Thanks! ~Jesse

I built a 10 based on Lonnie's original plans- bottom back tube is the gas manifold. To this I plumbed ½” SS tube and fittings through the solenoid gas valves to a 3/8” reducer just before the burners. I also used the yellow flex line you mention but only to the pilot lights.  I am using NG with a disconnect to my home gas line near the front of the garage/ door. (I brew in the driveway).  Anyhow I don’t know how close LP is to NG, but I would think that rigid ½” pipe would be better.  You also have to support the heavy burners?

Attachments

• gas plumb small.jpg
    gas plumb small.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 21
I kept mine simple. 1/2" black pipe,  1 T and the hoses off the burners.

Attachments

• DSCF9471-1.JPG
    DSCF9471-1.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF9472-1.JPG
    DSCF9472-1.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 9
Here is the set up. Pretty simple. The yellow flex lines will be the direct gas supply to the burners. ( no pilots) The burners will be mounted to the SS frame with brackets. I was hoping to use this type of hose because the burners are large and ackward. And will protrude beyond the back of the stand. (trying to avoid using all the elbows and nipples and reducers I will have to use to stay with all black iron pipe) I guess the better question is to ask whether or not the yellow hose is just as efficient as the black rubber hose you find on BBQ grills and artcox's stand?

I guess I'd be careful using the yellow NG flex hoses with Propane LNG.  I'm thinking the hoses you are talking about using are for low pressure NG from your house. Propane from the bottle will be higher pressure.  I guess I would want to be sure the pressure rating of the hoses you are going to be using is appropriate.
Good luck

Those hoses are crap and are rumored to be close to getting banned from plumbing code.Run it in black iron,they will thread it at the depot if you take some measurements.or you can run it in soft copper tubing with flare connections, do not use compression fittings

if you keep those hoses on check them often they corrode and are very thin and prone to punctures

When I built a BBQ, between a camping store, an RV store, and the propane distributor, I got everything I needed and it was designed for propane. NG is different and has different needs.
Homebrewing stops being a hobby about the time the fire dept. shows up.
Rusty (aka Ed)

That tracpipe IS rated for natural or lp gas,the btu rating only refers to the size of the hose"how much gas can flow through it"

Back