• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

total mash time

rovercashjr

Apprentice
Reaction score
is there any downside to increasing a one step temp mash from 60 min to 90? it seems to increase my mash eff. I have been using a no sparge runoff into the kettle followed by adding enough sparge water after the first run to achieve my pre-boil volume. cheers and thanks in advance

I don't know of any downsides, I do an iodine test, and have found that found that it takes about 90 min. for the test to be positive.

No issue at all.  If it takes that long then you may need a thinner mash or mash temperature is off.

Mark

Ok .i keep a really good watch on mash temps but have almost always used 1.3 qts/lb grain.The mash feels wet enough judging from the resistance to stirring. that ratio seems like a popular one but no harm in trying a thinner mash

The only reason a longer mash time would give you a better yield is if you were not achieving full conversion. 
An iodine test is the only way to know for sure that there is no unconverted starch left in the mash.

If mash temp was below 150*F I think it would take more time for full conversion.  Lower modified grains would be another reason for slow conversion.

Mark

Considering today's very well modified commercial malts, most of the conversion is done in the first 5 minutes.  When I brewed commercially we used a 15 min Conversion rest, a ramp up to mash-out and then off to the lauter tun and begin the vorlauf.  Tests showed that by waiting up to 90min only increased conversion by about 2-3%...not worth waiting for.  I get similar results from my home system...thus I only rest for 30 min.

There are some other considerations for a longer rest like color pick-up but personally I don't really feel I'm missing anything by speeding up my process.

Just my 2 Cents.

I wonder if it could be more of a grain crush issue. possibly my barley crusher 's gap setting is too wide

That falls right in line with what I heard from a local brewer.  He said that after 15-20min all conversion is done.  This is good to hear it from another source, just validates the whole idea.  I will definitely be shortening my conversion rest.
Troutguy said:
Considering today's very well modified commercial malts, most of the conversion is done in the first 5 minutes.  When I brewed commercially we used a 15 min Conversion rest, a ramp up to mash-out and then off to the lauter tun and begin the vorlauf.  Tests showed that by waiting up to 90min only increased conversion by about 2-3%...not worth waiting for.  I get similar results from my home system...thus I only rest for 30 min.

There are some other considerations for a longer rest like color pick-up but personally I don't really feel I'm missing anything by speeding up my process.

Just my 2 Cents.

----------------------------------------

You should pickup a set of stainless steel feeler guages and check your gap ever few months.  I also have a barley crusher and have found that it will widen over time.
rovercashjr said:
I wonder if it could be more of a grain crush issue. possibly my barley crusher 's gap setting is too wide

Back