• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

sight glass

lowell

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a sight glass for my keggle, I currently use a stick, but find it hard to due to steam. I want to become more accurate with volume. Any comment on the the use of a sight glass?

I like 'em, I'm thinking of doing the same thing when I move to a keggle.  Currently, I use a tape measure and compare to a list of volumes.

lowell said:
I am considering purchasing a sight glass for my keggle, I currently use a stick, but find it hard to due to steam. I want to become more accurate with volume. Any comment on the the use of a sight glass?
I am in no way associated with this company but I purchased 2 of their sight-glasses attached to my keggles. I purchased one with, and one without, a temperature gauge and am very satisfied with their product. Great price as well

http://www.brewhardware.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49:weldless-sight-glass-kit&catid=36:weldess&Itemid=60

+1 to Bootlegbrewer on Bobby's sight glasses. I have one on my 10gal setup and getting ready to buy another for the Keggle system I am getting ready to build.

+1 on the sight-glass.  I had one and then got a new BK without one.  Only brewed once without the sight-glass, didn't like it.  Brewhardware.com has the best that I have seen and use.  Well worth it.

David 

How do you clean and keep the sight glass clean? I assume it is plastic, not glass?

ultravista said:
How do you clean and keep the sight glass clean? I assume it is plastic, not glass?

+1 on Bobby_M and brew hardware.com I have done buisness with them now several times with great service. In answer to your question I clean mine with 2 steps the first is fill your brew kettle 100% and add the appropriate amt of pbw and leave for a few hours. next step they make very tiny brushes for this purpose. I run this specialized brush inside the sight glass a few times and it's as clean as new

Sight glass is useful, but does have one major drawback.  When you are boiling it bubbles and boils in the sight glass too, making it impossible to tell actual volume during the boil.  It is very useful when you are measuring water for the mashing process, making sure you draw enough during sparge and post boil.

Sight glasses come in both glass and plastic, and plastic ones come in both hard and flexible.  I have found that just rinsing/flushing water through it works.  Be sure that you have an easy way to remove the sight glass, then you just run a brush through it if something gets stuck in there.

Cheers!

Back