• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

wyeat 1272

piper55

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I brewed a recipe that I have done many times with 1056 ,this time I did it with 1272 smack pack with a 1 liter starter. I am 21/2 weeks into a fermentation that normally takes 3 days and I still have a krausen an active air lock and a hi gravity. but it looks and smells great and tastes great "no off odors or smells". anyone have experience with this strain? Im not worried but is this normal?

Try contacting Wyeast directly. They are always happy to help.
Ed

http://www.wyeastlab.com/faqs.cfm?website=1&CategoryID=1

2.5 weeks in is still way early. the thing is, you cant go off of what these beginner recipe kits say, when they say "one week primary" "two weeks bottling"..the fermentation is done when its done. i normally let my beer sit in primary for minimum 4 weeks. if im bottling, i let it bottle condition for a minimum of 4 weeks. time is a beer/yeast's best friend. its much safer to wait longer, then to pull yeast off of a beer too soon. you have to give it time enough to do its job. like i said, i normally dont even check until a month in, but i suggest waiting that long and the rule of thumb is when the FG reading is the same for 3 days in a row, then fermentation is done. wait a month, make sure you dont see any activity, then take a reading until its the same for 3 days..THEN you can keg/bottle..

thanks its my own recipe just never used this yeast before, its 31/2 weeks and its starting to drop the yeast out. I guess this strain is just a little slower than my normal 1056. Its hard to be patient when you are out of beer,God forbid I should buy beer.

BTW...what are you brewing?  I plan on using that very same strain in a Bell's Two Hearted Ale clone recipe I got from BYO's Hop Lover's Guide.

Its a west coast ipa I have been working on since about november ,simple grain bill ,all about the hops,nugget simcoe and cascade. Samples I have had are great, I have made bells 2 hearted I think that would be a good choice of yeast it seems to really pop the hops. If my nugget knockout comes out the way I think it will I will post the recipe its a real hop bomb.Let me know if you get a slow ferment.

tress I have the recipe from bells general store they recomend wlp051 which I believe would cross reference to wyeast 1272, they also recomend wlp001 which I believe would cross to wyeast 1056

I've used 1272 for a summer ale. My yeast starter was 2L that I let brew for a minimum of 48 hrs on a stir plate. OG was 1.051. Primary fermentation lasted 5 days(63 F) and gravity at racking to secondary was 1.008. FG of 1.007 10 days later. I've found that it reached terminal gravity faster than 1056. My local brew shop guy recommends the 2L starter in order to have enough ample yeasty beasties and to shorten the lag time to active fermentation. Han't failed me yet. Hope this helps.

Thats interesting I had a 1 liter starter I finished brewing at 10 pm and had an active airlock the next morning.the only thing I can think of is it got cold an stalled and picked up when I racked it after 2 weeks

Back