• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

my local brewer is closing...

tws

Apprentice
Reaction score
greetings beersmithers,

i'm new to brewing... so far i do extract sometimes with steeped grains.  i ferment in glass carboys and rack to corny kegs... i've got 4 batches of beer in the pipeline... will tap my first - wizen - at the end of this month... i've got two lagers laagering in the garage and an IPA ready to keg in two weeks.

my local home brew store is closing in a week and i would like some advice as to where i may get the best beer kit deals (freshest extract, grains and yeast) online preferably in oregon where i live or the west coast.

thanks for your valuable feedback.

tws

thanks,

i'm checking them out! good prices and free shipping over a certain amount.

tws

i'd say northern brewer or austin homebrew supply..mainly because those are the two that have flat rate shipping..morebeer you have to purchase 50 bucks or more to get free shipping, otherwise it gets pricey..

i'd suggest adding www.homebrewfinds.com to your bookmarks/favorites..if you have twitter you can add them and then set notifications to your phone so you have the latest deals sent directly to you. this website is constantly finding the best deals/coupons/discounts/etc on anything having to do with home brewing..

I don't know where you are in Oregon, but I use FH Steinbart out of Portland. They have been doing homebrew and craftbrew longer than anyone. (Started 1918). Since one of the largest shipping ports for malts and hops is Vancouver, you can't get any fresher than in your own back yard. You need to call them, not everything is listed on the web.
I have also used Northern Brewer kits in the past with great results.
Ed

thanks all,

excellent information.

i'm going to check them all out.

tws

I find many health food stores sell homebrew ingredients, often at a lower profit margin than a dedicated brew supply store. And they're often more than willing to order whatever they don't carry. 

My last 55lb sack of grain was ordered from the granola store for $58, while the Ed at The Hop Shop wants almost $70 for the same thing. Sorry Ed. Nothing personal, but I ain't gonna drive extra to pay more.

I get my hops by the pound (1lb for under $20 including shipping vs $3/oz, you do the math) online from http://www.hopsdirect.com.

Most of my hardware comes from http://www.williamsbrewing.com/ or http://www.homebrewing.org/.

BTW this Mainer was born in Eugene. Cheers!

@ Maine Homebrewer
This Washington Homebrewer was born and raised in upstate NY. Hamlet of Plattekill, population 1050, counting dogs and chickens.
Ed

Homebrewstuff.com is great. They used to be in Oregon, now in Idaho. i live close by and buy lots o' stuff from them. their ingredients are always fresh and well-priced. Happy Brewing.

What area of Oregon are you from?  I'm in Washington and know many of the stores in both states.  If you are still looking, let me know and I'm happy to help out any way I can.

Cheers!

tws said:
greetings beersmithers,

i'm new to brewing... so far i do extract sometimes with steeped grains.  i ferment in glass carboys and rack to corny kegs... i've got 4 batches of beer in the pipeline... will tap my first - wizen - at the end of this month... i've got two lagers laagering in the garage and an IPA ready to keg in two weeks.

my local home brew store is closing in a week and i would like some advice as to where i may get the best beer kit deals (freshest extract, grains and yeast) online preferably in oregon where i live or the west coast.

thanks for your valuable feedback.

tws

Back