Author Topic: Odd smell during frementation  (Read 2973 times)

Offline chas382

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Odd smell during frementation
« on: January 19, 2012, 04:33:07 PM »
Hey all...new to the board. I have brew a few batches of extract ale and decided to try an extract lager. I purchased a chest freezer and temp. controller..both work fine. I don't know if it is because of the confined space or the WLP 830 German yeast but the airlock is giving off a sour odor. Is this normal? Maybe I just never noticed since I fermented my ales in a spare bathroom. I used a stepped up starter and have the temp at 54* F . Thanks for any help.

Offline Maine Homebrewer

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Odd smell during frementation
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 06:17:25 PM »
The smell given off by fermenting brew is less than pleasant, and in my opinion lager smells worse than ale.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline Rusty Nails

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 08:22:35 PM »
Imagine working in a room full of traditional open fermentation vats. Yea, that would be great.
Anyway, you can get sulpher smells during the early part of fermentation. Just watch your temps, they should go away.
Ed

Offline HolyFirkins

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • 1 Corinthians 10:31
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:12:35 PM »
wait until you taste the beer..if it tastes fine, who cares how it smelled during fermentation!
Great beer is great..

Offline chas382

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 03:41:09 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement. I am anxious to try this beer. It is a first attempt Maibock. I will just have to be patient and hopefully the reward will be worth it. Thanks again....